Patient Advocate - Full Time - SLRMC
For more than a century, Salt Lake Regional Medical Center has provided high-quality healthcare for residents of the Salt Lake Valley. Conveniently located near the heart of the city, this historic hospital remains one of the most trusted medical centers in all of Utah. Today you’ll find the most advanced medical technology in a world-class facility, a staff committed to staying on the leading edge of healthcare and patients who still find the kind of comfort and caring for which Salt Lake Regional always has been known.
Some areas of expertise include: Emergency Medicine, Heart Care, Cancer Care, Women’s Health, Men’s Health, Diagnostic Imaging, Surgical Services, and Behavioral Health among others.
Reporting to the Hospital Risk Manager and working in partnership with the system hospital Chief Medical Officer and Director of Quality and Safety, the advocate will investigate, resolve, document and report patient and visitor compliments and concerns. Facilitate resolution of complaints and grievances of patients, family members and visitors. Develop, implement and participate in customer service and patient relations initiatives. Provide monthly accountability and variance analysis of customer service outcomes.
- Document patient, family, and visitor concerns, complaints and grievances and ensure appropriate triage of complaints to concerned parties.
- Work collaboratively with physicians, directors and managers of the involved units to develop a response to the complainant and an action plan to address identified opportunities for improvement. Responses to complainants must be completed in a timely manner in accordance with the complaint/grievance policy.
- Compose letters, memos, etc, to patients, visitors, physicians, and hospital leadership as necessary ensuring grammatical accuracy and according to the terms of the grievance policy and in collaboration with Risk Manager.
- Coordinate an implementation plan for the plan of action in collaboration with the involved physicians, directors, managers, hospital leadership and Risk Manager
- Identify systems related problems via patient and family complaint data; work collaboratively with physicians, administrators and staff to resolve.
- Analyze complaint and grievance data and collaborate with on a monthly basis. Conduct monthly accountability and variance analysis of customer service outcomes.
- Collaborate with unit leadership to meet customer service and clinical quality outcomes. Integral part of the Patient Experience and HCAHP survey scores.
- Assist in the preparation of annual and quarterly executive reports for senior leadership, present data to leadership teams
- Participate in committees, work groups and or process improvement teams that improve patient and customer satisfaction. Work collaboratively with Quality Department team on projects and initiatives to improve patient safety and hospital quality.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Behavioral Science or related field.
- Three years of relevant experience in a health care or patient advocacy environment.
- Possess strong customer service skills and interpersonal interactions.
- Ability to handle difficult and angry people constructively.
- Excellent analytical skills, including analysis, planning, organizing, and troubleshooting.
- Proficient in Windows-based operating software and systems.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and presentation skills.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision.
- Adaptability with high tolerance for ambiguous work situations.
- Ability to address difficult, awkward situations with tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to work in conjunction with staff in a supportive way to troubleshoot and resolve issues.
- Must be visible to staff, offering support and modeling service behaviors and concern resolution processes.
- Must be a team player and have proven success applying a team approach to obtain resolution to an issue or successfully accomplish a goal.
- Knowledge of healthcare environment and regulatory requirements regarding patient rights preferred.
We have many plans with various deductibles, which can cover individuals or families so you can customize a plan that will work for you! Steward Health Care works with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts to provide affordable health insurance for our employees in benefit eligible positions. Our Health Plans Highlights are:
- Deductibles will not apply to services provided by a Steward provider (Tier 1).
- Office visits copays will be $0 when a member uses a Steward Provider (Tier 1).
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse office visits will be $0 for all In-Network providers (Tier1, Tier 2, and Tier 3).
Other Benefits provided:
- Dental, Vision, Health Care Savings Account, Life Insurance, Short Term and Long Term Disability, Tuition Reimbursement, Paid Time Off, and more.
Steward Healthcare is an equal opportunity employer Female/Minority/Disabled/Veteran
“Salt Lake Regional Medical Center is directly or indirectly owned by an entity that proudly includes physician owners, including certain members of the hospital's medical staff.”
Steward Hospitals are taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment – with confidence and without fear.
Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience:
- Expanded hours will allow previously canceled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible.
- Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families.
- Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients.
- A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital.
- A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety.
You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.